IIUM Repository

Does picky eating behavior exist in university students?

Zulkefli, Nur Fadzlina and Khattak, Muhammad Muzaffar Ali Khan and Mohd Abu Bakar, Wan Azdie (2018) Does picky eating behavior exist in university students? International Journal of Allied Health Sciences, 2 (1). pp. 140-154. E-ISSN 2600-8491

[img] PDF - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (479kB) | Request a copy


The aim of this study was to assess picky eating behavior existence among university students. This was an observational cross sectional study design. The sample size was calculated by using single proportion formula based on the adult prevalence of picky eating of 28.7 % which gives a sample of ~ 324 students. However, 407 students online registered to participate out which 403 students responded. A set of questionnaire was posted online. The questionnaire contained three sections which are demographic information, determinants of picky eating behavior and normal eating behaviors. Furthermore, the students were categorized as non-picky eating behavior, moderate picky eating behavior, and extreme picky eating behavior. The statistical analysis carried out was mainly descriptive in order to determine the extent of picky eating behavior among the university students. Student t-test was used to find the differences between picky and non-picky eaters in terms of eating behaviors. Among the students possessing non picky eating behavior, moderate picky eating behavior and extreme picky eating behavior were 168 (41.69%), were 130(32.26%), 105(26.05%) respectively. On overall basis 235(58.31 %) of the students were having picky eating behavior. The present study revealed that picky eating behavior exists among the university students which need to be addressed.

Item Type: Article (Journal)
Additional Information: 5145/61721
Uncontrolled Keywords: Picky eating, food neophobia, eating behavior
Subjects: T Technology > TX Home economics > TX341 Nutrition. Foods and food supply
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences > Department of Nutrition Sciences
Depositing User: Dr Muhammad Muzaffar Ali Khan Khattak
Date Deposited: 04 Apr 2018 16:16
Last Modified: 01 Aug 2018 16:25
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/61721

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item


Downloads per month over past year