IIUM Repository

Kidney donation: bridging the gap in the shortage of kidney transplants in Malaysia

Islahudin, Farida Hanim and Shahdan, Intan Azura and Li, Ming Kua (2021) Kidney donation: bridging the gap in the shortage of kidney transplants in Malaysia. Journal of Health Research. ISSN 0857-4421 E-ISSN 2586-940X (In Press)

[img] PDF (Article) - Published Version
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (117kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Purpose – The purpose of this study was to identify factors that affect willingness to donate kidneys posthumously among Malaysians. Design/methodology/approach – A questionnaire-based cross-sectional study assessing demographics, attitude, spirituality, knowledge and willingness to donate a kidney was conducted among adult Malaysians with oral informed consent. The total number of samples was 1,001 respondents. Univariate and multivariate logistic regression was performed. Findings – A total of 29.17% (n 5 292) were willing to donate kidneys, while the remaining 70.83% (n 5 709) were not. The mean spirituality score was 80.95 ± 13.79 (maximum score 100), mean attitude score was 52.88 ± 8.074 (maximum score 70) and mean knowledge score was 1.84 ± 0.99 (maximum score 5). A higher score demonstrated a stronger spiritual level, positive attitude and better knowledge. Factors affecting willingness to donate a kidney were ethnicity (odds ratio [OR] 5 15.625, 95% confidence interval [CI] 5 0.043– 0.094) and attitude toward kidney donation score (OR 5 0.924, 95% CI 5 0.902–0.945). Originality/value – Culture-specific steps to improve programs that may contribute toward improving kidney donation posthumously among Malaysians should be developed. Results drawn from this work demonstrate that policymakers, health-care workers and stakeholders should work together to promote effective policies and program implementation to reduce the ever-increasing gap between the need and shortage crisis of kidney donation.

Item Type: Article (Journal)
Additional Information: 5074/88837
Uncontrolled Keywords: Kidney donation, Kidney transplants, Malaysia
Subjects: R Medicine > R Medicine (General)
R Medicine > RD Surgery
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences
Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences > Department of Biomedical Science (Effective:1st July 2011)
Depositing User: Dr. IA Shahdan
Date Deposited: 23 Mar 2021 13:32
Last Modified: 23 Mar 2021 13:32
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/88837

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year