IIUM Repository

Household food insecurity and nutritional status among adolescents in Kuantan, Pahang

Yahya, Noor Atirah and Mohd Abu Bakar, Wan Azdie and Sidek, Suriati and Ab Ghalib, Halimatun Saadiah and Mat Ya, Roselawati and Abdul Rahman, Rozlin (2018) Household food insecurity and nutritional status among adolescents in Kuantan, Pahang. In: 33rd Scientific Conference of the Nutrition Society of Malaysia 2018, 24th-26th July 2018, Kuala Lumpur. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF - Supplemental Material
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (351kB) | Request a copy
[img] PDF - Presentation
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (1MB) | Request a copy


The link between food insecurity and nutritional status has been studied comprehensively, but the results were mixed depending on the data source and subpopulation involved. The objective of this study is to investigate the prevalence of household food insecurity and nutritional status among secondary school children in Kuantan, Pahang. Data were obtained from 530 students from 12 secondary schools in five different sub-districts in Kuantan, Pahang. Food security parameters were measured using validated Radimer/ Cornell Hunger and Food Security Instrument (Malay version). The weight and height were measured and height for age and BMI for age were calculated using WHO Anthroplus® software. 76.4% of the students were living in food insecurity while the other 23.6% were food secure. From food insecurity category, 31.5% of them were sub-categorized into household food insecure, 7.5% of them were experiencing food insecurity in individual level (mother or father) and 37.5% of them were in child hunger category. Out of 5 subdistricts, Ulu Kuantan had the highest food insecure to food secure households’ ratio (5:1) compared to other sub-districts. According to WHO cut-off point, 16.6% and 14.2% of the subjects were overweight and obese respectively, 9.3% of them fell into underweight category and others were normal. 26.5% of the underweight students were severely wasted and 47.5% of students were stunted. The prevalence of overweight and obese were higher in female subjects and food insecure households (58.7% and 77.3% respectively) compared to male and food secure households (41.7% and 22.7% respectively). This study showed that the food insecurity is present in Malaysian households and the prevalence of overweight and obesity is high among adolescents in Kuantan. More synchronize actions from both government and non-governmental agencies are necessary to overcome these problems.

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Poster)
Additional Information: 4609/65603
Uncontrolled Keywords: Household food insecurity, nutrition, adolescent, Kuantan, Pahang
Subjects: R Medicine > RA Public aspects of medicine
T Technology > TX Home economics > TX341 Nutrition. Foods and food supply
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences
Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences > Department of Nutrition Sciences
Depositing User: Dr. Wan Azdie Mohd Abu Bakar
Date Deposited: 12 Sep 2018 14:37
Last Modified: 12 Sep 2018 14:37
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/65603

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item


Downloads per month over past year