IIUM Repository

Stroke patients’ adherence to nurses’ advice and their quality of life after admittance to Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan

Ibrahim, Wisam Nabeel and Md Nawi, Sufi and Abdullah Al-Mahmood, Sinan Mohammed and Othman, Noratikah (2018) Stroke patients’ adherence to nurses’ advice and their quality of life after admittance to Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan. International Journal of Care Scholars, 1 (1). pp. 1-4. E-ISSN 2600-898X

[img] PDF - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (266kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Objective: The objective of this study is to identify stroke patients’ adherence toward nurses’ advice and quality of life. Methodology: This was a cross-sectional study conducted at a medical ward in Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan, Kuantan, Pahang; it used the Quality of Life Index Stroke Version-III and Medical Outcome Study Measure of Patient Adherence. The data were collected using the purposive sampling method and were analysed using SPSS version 19. Results: A total of 54 respondents, ranging in age from 50 to 80 years old, (46.3% male and 53.7% female) with 94.4% being Malays. Returned surveys indicated that 50% of the respondents have no formal education. A total of 64.8% patients adhered to the nurses’ advice and the remaining 35.2% were non-adherents.There is a positive correlation between adherence and the quality of life. Male patients demonstrated a better adherence level compared to women (p=0.019). However, there was no association between age, race and education level with adherence. Conclusion: Healthcare professionals, such as nurses, have substantial roles in ensuring stroke patients adhere to rehabilitation guidelines with a view to maximising the quality of life.

Item Type: Article (Journal)
Additional Information: 6715/61875
Uncontrolled Keywords: Adherence, Stroke, Quality of Life
Subjects: R Medicine > RA Public aspects of medicine > RA644.3 Public Health. Hygiene. Preventive Medicine - Chronic and Noninfectious Diseases and Public Health
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Nursing > Department of Basic Medical Sciences for Nursing
Depositing User: Mr SINAN AL-MAHMOOD
Date Deposited: 20 Feb 2018 12:11
Last Modified: 17 Aug 2019 07:04
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/61875

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year