IIUM Repository

Anti-obesity potential of selected tropical plants via pancreatic lipase inhibition

Alias, Norsyuhada and Leow, Thean Chor and Mohamad Ali, Mohd. Shukuri and Ahmad Tajudin, Asilah and Salleh, Abu Bakar and Raja Abd Rahman, Raja Noor Zaliha (2017) Anti-obesity potential of selected tropical plants via pancreatic lipase inhibition. Advances in Obesity, Weight Management & Control, 6 (4). pp. 1-11. ISSN 2378-3168

[img] PDF - Published Version
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (887kB) | Request a copy


Natural products are a vast source of potential compounds that can be developed as anti-obesity agent. One of the mechanisms of anti-obesity agents is inhibition of pancreatic lipase. Assay of 24 crude extracts for their in vitro activity against porcine pancreatic lipase (PPL) detected four extracts demonstrating high (>70%) inhibition, seven extracts had medium (30-70%) inhibition and the remaining 13 extracts exhibited low (<30%) inhibition when incubated with PPL at a concentration of 500 μg/ml for 10 min at 37°C. Phyllanthus niruri extract displayed the most potent PPL inhibitor, followed by Orthosiphon stamineus, Murraya paniculata and Averrhoa bilimbi with the IC50 value of 27.7<34.7< 41.5<55.2 μg/ml, respectively. P. niruri & O. stamineus (the best two extracts) showed noncompetitive and uncompetitive inhibition, respectively. P. niruri & O. stamineus displayed total phenolic content of 431.0 ± 0.01 and 103.0 ± 0.01 mg GAE/g dry extract, while total flavonoid content of 14.8 ± 0.07 and 21.6 ± 0.03 mg QE/g dry extract, respectively. Both P. niruri & O. stamineus extracts showed high antioxidant activity, with EC50 values of 8.4 and 26.3 μg/ml, respectively. The results suggest that P. niruri & O. stamineus may be beneficial for obesity treatment via pancreatic lipase inhibition action.

Item Type: Article (Journal)
Additional Information: 7690/59455
Uncontrolled Keywords: Pancreatic lipase inhibitor; Phyllanthus niruri; Orthosiphon stamineus;Obesity
Subjects: R Medicine > RM Therapeutics. Pharmacology
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences > Department of Biomedical Science (Effective:1st July 2011)
Depositing User: Norsyuhada Alias
Date Deposited: 20 Nov 2017 15:13
Last Modified: 11 Jan 2018 13:29
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/59455

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item


Downloads per month over past year