IIUM Repository

The effect of voiding position on uroflowmetry findings of patientswith Benign Prostatic Obstruction(BPO) in urology clinic HTAA

Redzuan, Muhd Zaki Azre and Kamarulzaman, Mohd Nazli and Ghazali, Hamid (2016) The effect of voiding position on uroflowmetry findings of patientswith Benign Prostatic Obstruction(BPO) in urology clinic HTAA. BJUI : BJU International, 118 (Supplement S4). p. 34. E-ISSN 1464-410X

[img] PDF - Published Version
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (52kB) | Request a copy
PDF (wos)
Download (152kB) | Preview


Introduction: Changes in voiding positionmay have signi ficant impact on micturitiondue to factors such as changes in pressureof abdominal muscles and viscera, andrelaxation of pelvic floor muscles in differ-ent voiding positions. Few studies in the lit-erature have addressed the impact ofvoiding position on uroflowmetric results,however, the results were inconclusive.Objectives: To investigate the uroflowme-try findings of three different voiding posi-tions in BPO patients attending theUrology Clinic, HTAA.Materials and Methods: Cross-sectionalobservational study of BPO patientsattending the Urology Clinic HTAA fromMarch 2015 to December 2015.Uroflowmetry in standing, sitting andsquatting positions were done in those ful-filling the study criteria. The maximumflow rate, average flow rate, voiding vol-ume, total voiding time and post-voidingresidual volume were measured andrecorded. The results were then comparedand analysed. Other factors such as nor-mal voiding habit, number of medication,size of prostate, severity of BPO andintravesical prostatic protrusion (IPP) werealso studied for any significance.Results: A total of 123 patients were stud-ied. Majority of patients were more than60 years old (87%) and more than halfwere Chinese (58.5%) followed by Malays(35%) and Indians (5.7%). The commonestvoiding positions among these patientswere standing (78%), sitting, 15 patients(12.2%) and squatting, 12 patients (9.8%).Average IPSS was 12 and majority of themwere in the moderate group (63.4%). Themean size of prostate in this study was42.95 grams. 33 patients had IPP (27.27%)while the rest (72.72%) did not have IPP

Item Type: Article (Meeting Abstract)
Additional Information: 3752/54054
Uncontrolled Keywords: Uroflowmetry, benign prostatic obstruction, lower urinary tract symptoms, international prostate symptom score
Subjects: R Medicine > RD Surgery
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Medicine > Department of Surgery
Depositing User: Dr. Mohd Nazli Kamarulzaman
Date Deposited: 18 Jan 2017 11:06
Last Modified: 19 Oct 2017 10:05
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/54054

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item


Downloads per month over past year