IIUM Repository

Do consumers in Pakistan understand the concept of generic medicines? A quantitative insight

Siddiqui, Mohammad Jamshed Ahmad and Jamshed, Shazia Qasim and Ibrahim, Mohamed Izham and Hassali, Mohamed Azmi and Babar, Zaheer-ud-din and Alkalami, Ramdan (2012) Do consumers in Pakistan understand the concept of generic medicines? A quantitative insight. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 8 (6). e16-e16. ISSN 1551-7411

[img] PDF (Abstract) - Published Version
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (54kB) | Request a copy


Objectives: Developing countries are struggling with the high cost of treatment and generic medicines could be instrumental in curtailing the cost of treatment and reduce healthcare expenditures. Pakistan is not an exception to this issue. This study is a mere attempt to explore the knowledge and perception of Pakistani consumers towards generic medicines. Methods: Three hundred questionnaires were interview administered to a quota sample of Pakistani consumers. This type of sampling could assist in assuring the inclusion of those respondents that could be likely underrepresented in convenience sampling. Gender and income group were considered as quota control variables. The criterion was chosen because for gender there is equal chance of selection of both males and females. Moreover, income group was considered another quota control variable because for generic medicines cost is obviously the most important reason for selection of generic medicines. Results: The mean age of the respondents was 46.5 �11.38. Out of 300 respondents 167 (55.7%) were found to be male while the remaining 133 (44.3%) were found to be female. A very few respondents from high income group had medical insurance coverage (n¼30; 10.0%). A very large majority of consumers never heard the term generic medicines (n¼207; 69%). Slightly less than half of the respondents agreed (n¼135; 44.0%) that low cost medicines are as effective as brand medicines. A very large majority agreed (n¼254; 84.7%) that their doctor prescribes the best medicine for them. More than half of the respondents expressed their comfort to switch from one brand to another because of low cost potential. A very large majority of the respondents showed their outlook (n¼258; 86.0%) that doctors should talk about the cost before writing a prescription. Conclusions: The study demonstrated gaps in the knowledge of generic medicines but somewhat, good perception was noted among consumers.

Item Type: Article (Journal)
Additional Information: 6804/32662
Uncontrolled Keywords: generic medicines, Pakistan
Subjects: R Medicine > RS Pharmacy and materia medica
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Pharmacy > Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Depositing User: Dr M Jamshed Siddiqui
Date Deposited: 12 Nov 2013 08:39
Last Modified: 19 Jun 2017 14:42
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/32662

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item


Downloads per month over past year