IIUM Repository

Melioidosis in Pahang: a review from Registry Data 2011-2015

How, Soon Hin and Zainulabid, Ummu Afeera and Mahmud, Fatihah and Mohd Ibrahim, Mohamad Shafiq and Lim, Bee Chiu and Bhajan Singh, Kiren Kaur and Loh, Thian Chee and Fong, Voon Ken and Sulong, Mohd Rahim (2021) Melioidosis in Pahang: a review from Registry Data 2011-2015. The Medical Journal of Malaysia, 76. p. 27. ISSN 0300-5283

[img] PDF (Abstract) - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (945kB) | Request a copy


Introduction: A review of melioidosis cases conducted throughout the state of Pahang, Malaysia, from 2000 to 2004 found that there were high annual incidences and mortality rates. A series of programs on medical education has since been introduced throughout Pahang, and a registry was created to track the effects. Methods: A comprehensive review of the confirmed melioidosis cases from 1st January 2011 to 31st December 2015 was performed to trace back the culture findings from all microbiology laboratories in Pahang. Comparisons were made between these cases and previous records retrieved from the registry. Information was verified from the patient's case note when necessary. Completed data were analysed. Results: A total of 239 patients had positive cultures for Burkholderia pseudomallei from the total cases of 249 melioidosis cases. The calculated melioidosis incidence in Pahang, was 2.89 per 100, 000 population every year (4.18 per 100,000 adult population annually and 0.8 per 100,000 pediatric population annually). The positive patients were predominantly males (78.7%), Malays (82.7%), and had a median age of 52 years (range 1 -84 years). The most common predisposing factor and clinical presentation were diabetes (n=171, 69%) and pneumonia (n=112, 45.0%) respectively. With the known outcomes, 106(48.4%) of them did not survive, and while the other 113(51.6%) were fully discharged and received appropriate antibiotics for both intensive and eradication therapies. Twenty-two patients (8.9%) had culture-confirmed relapses. Conclusion: Despite improvements in patient management, especially in the treatment involving antibiotics, mortality rates remained high. A concerted effort must be made to formulate a better strategy to reduce the mortality rate of melioidosis.

Item Type: Article (Journal)
Uncontrolled Keywords: melioidosis; Pahang
Subjects: R Medicine > RC Internal medicine > RC111 Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
Kulliyyahs/Centres/Divisions/Institutes (Can select more than one option. Press CONTROL button): Kulliyyah of Medicine > Department of Internal Medicine
Depositing User: Asst. Dr. Ummu Afeera Zainulabid
Date Deposited: 11 Oct 2022 10:53
Last Modified: 11 Oct 2022 10:53
URI: http://irep.iium.edu.my/id/eprint/100491

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item


Downloads per month over past year